Careers and Higher Education
Our aim is to achieve the best possible outcomes for every pupil. The link between choice of degree course and future earnings is strong and so our guidance process begins at the earliest possible stage. Character development and soft skills are highly influential in the employment market. It will be the academic credentials and competencies of an applicant which secure the interview in a competitive employment market but it will be the character, values and attitudes which secure the job. It is with this in mind that we expect every pupil to maintain a broad range of interests and to seek new experiences which develop new skills.
As they move through the school, there is regular consideration of different educational and career pathways to help individuals to make informed and effective choices. This is done through the PSE programme, individual subjects and the programme of visiting speakers. Once again, the Personal Tutor plays a vital role in challenging the logic of decisions and offering advice on the best pathway to follow. Personal Tutor reports to parents provide updates on future plans and advice that has been offered.
A strong foundation of GCSE grades underpins the options available to pupils in the Sixth Form. Our twin routes of A Level and BTEC have been chosen for their proven capacity to ensure that there is a rich choice of the best university courses available at the end of school career.
Our principle commitments in Careers & Higher Education are as follows:
- To ensure that pupils set ambitious goals for their current and future studies;
- To promote the balanced and complementary development of academic performance and character to ensure readiness for the worlds of work and further study;
- To ensure that every pupil follows a curriculum of examination courses and activities which create a strong foundation for future success;
- To ensure that pupils are able to make well informed subject, further study and career choices;
- To actively promote the relative benefits of:
- Degree level study at World Top 50 Universities
- Understanding the benefits of studying abroad
- Securing places on sponsored degree programmes with high status employers
Each year, every pupil has a one-to-one discussion with a senior member of staff regarding their future career and study options. These conversations are logged and revisited in subsequent meetings.